When you are renting you are responsible for minor upkeep, including changing filters, bulbs, loose screws, and the like. If the issue is beyond your ability to fix, then you need to put in a work order. Please understand that we use outside vendors to do repairs. We will try our best to get them to your rental within 24 hours. For your convenience, we have included a list of frequent maintenance issues.
Clogged or Slow Drains
- Normal hair or grease can be the issue. It is your responsibility to try and clear the issue up. We recommend that you keep a plunger and/or drain cleaner available. Here is a natural drain cleaner that may help you.
- Remove the drain cap.
- Mix equal parts baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- Pour baking soda mixture down the drain.
- Next, pour warm vinegar down the drain and let sit for a few minutes.
- Finally, pour boiling water down the drain until it clears.
- Return the drain cap to its place and you’re good to go!
TIP: Store the mixture of baking soda and salt in an airtight container for whenever you have a clog.
If the problem persists, fill out a maintenance request on your tenant portal page.
Heating and Air Conditioning
- It is important that you change your air filters at least every 30 days. If you have issues with your heating or air because you have not replaced the filter each month you will be responsible for the service call and repairs If you have Central Heat & Air, check the breaker in the panel box. Turn the breaker off & back on. Give the unit 5 – 10 minutes to come on. If this does not work, or you cannot locate the panel box, fill out a maintenance request. During the peak weather time (summer and winter) it may take longer to repair. Please understand that we use outside vendors to do repairs. We will try our best to get them to your rental within 24 hours.
No Hot Water
- Check the breaker or the pilot light on the water heater (if gas). If this does not resolve the issue, fill out a maintenance request on your tenant portal.
- First, check your breakers to see if one has been tripped. Otherwise, there could be a power outage in your area. Call Opelika Power Services (334-705-5170) and ask about your area to see if any outages have been reported.
- If you lock yourself out, you may come to office and check out a key during normal business hours, there will be a $25.00 fee which must be paid before you check out the key. You will be responsible to bring it back. We DO NOT provide after-hours lockout service, it is the tenant’s responsibility to call a locksmith. Tenants are advised to keep a spare key available, note that at the end of your lease, you are required to turn in all keys.
Emergencies would include:
- Active water leaks that may damage home
- Gas leak
- Furnace not working (Note: broken A/C is not considered an emergency unless 90+ degrees outside)
- Anything else that puts the tenant or property in danger